©2018 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved. eMedicineHealth does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See Additional Information.

Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)


Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: someone, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 31

About 9 pm one night when I was 17, I was texting a friend and suddenly everything was too bright. I could hardly look at my screen anymore, and when I did, I found that I couldn't understand the words on it, or figure out what words to type to say what was happening. I went to talk to my brother, and I couldn't understand what he said either. I went to bed and when I woke up the next morning I felt fine. Took three years to figure out it was a transient ischemic attack since I didn't know what a stroke was at the time.

Comment from: Steph, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I woke up in the morning having a transient ischemic attack (TIA). My symptoms were extreme confusion, doing strange things around the house and I thought the year was 2022 when it was really 2016! I knew something was wrong. It lasted for quite some time not just a few minutes.

Comment from: Ingram, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) a couple of days ago and my left eye has dropped lower than my right. My doctor is not concerned. I'm upset.

Comment from: Edmonton n, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

It was early morning and I had just sat on the bus when I had a transient ischemic attack. A few minutes down the road, I started sweating incredibly and both my arms went completely numb, my vision became blurred and I felt dizzy. I tried to stand up but my legs wouldn't allow me and I knew what I wanted to say to the bus driver but I couldn't find the words. Within 5 minutes all my symptoms disappeared, other than when I stood up I initially had trouble walking straight. I did not experience any chest pain or head ache. I'm 37.

Comment from: Al, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

While watching TV, my right eye became blurred like looking through water. Minutes after, the right side of my face felt full. After care at hospital for transient ischemic attack, that night my right leg lost strength, my speech came out with a lisp and my right lower lip drooped. The following day, by the evening my lip was recovering my eyesight was ok (sight returned to normal 2 hours after mini stroke). By the following night my leg was still weak and shaky. I am recovering still.

Comment from: Phino, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have had transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) for about a year. It usually hits my right jaw, lips and tongue, then travels upward and then straight down to my foot on the right side of my body. I have had MRAs, MRIs, CAT scans, EEGs and x-rays, and they show nothing. I had one just last Monday which left my right hand, right jaw, tongue and lips numb. I went to the hospital and again all tests prove negative for stroke. Still a week later my hand, jaw, lips, and tongue are still numb.

Comment from: Nobody , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

My transient ischemic attack was drug induced. I lost control of my arm neck and my body was moving on its own. I stood up suddenly, couldn't speak, my mouth and face felt like shut off, my head felt like it was being electrocuted, and I had ringing. My sight faded away and I woke up about 15 to 20 minutes later supposedly and didn't know who I was, or where I was, or how I got there. I could barely move for a few days. I had a bad seizure after about 3 minutes of being out. It was the most peaceful experience to be in the dark place of nothingness.

Comment from: Mac964, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had tingling, pins and needles in my left arm, left leg, intermittently on the left side of neck, and very heavy feeling on the morning of 03/01/2019. All intermittent, and I brushed it off on the method of my sleeping. It took forever to get dressed out of shower around 8 am. By 10 am there was an ebb and flow of headache. Whole left side gave out in the kitchen (home alone), felt like an electrical shock. Almost lost consciousness. The doctor said it was a transient ischemic attack with some minor weakness on left side. Two days later I was rushed to the emergency room with onset of another.

Comment from: Julia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had genital herpes for about 25 years. In the beginning, it was terrible. I regretfully passed it to my husband as it was misdiagnosed twice as folliculitis. My outbreaks are rare, but I still get the warning feelings now and then. It starts in the arch of my foot and moves up the back of my legs. I hadn't had an actual breakout for almost two years, and all of a sudden within the last few days I have developed a breakout in a place I have never had before, my buttock cheek. It is very painful.


What is a stroke? See Answer
Comment from: RichardB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

My transient ischemic attack (TIA) was in January of 2012. I woke up at 1:00 in the morning with my right arm feeling as if it was asleep. I wove it around to no avail and told my wife that I think I have experienced a stroke whereby the medics arrived and I was rushed to the emergency room and received a scan. Over the next year and half I received therapy but remained tired all the time. I had a nuclear stress test and was found to be blocked 95 percent top and bottom according to the results. Next day I had a quadruple bypass but over the years have less use of my left arm as proven by a neurology exam which lasted 4 hours. I gave the results to my heart surgeon and he told me that I should have called for an appointment (he wouldn't talk to me except through his nurse by the way). I reminded him that he told me it was 'normal' for 2 years and not to be concerned. Ironic that the statute of limitations for suit is two years regardless that I was sending the neurology report at the year and one half mark. No attorney would even give me consideration so I am resigned to living with it!

Comment from: Hillzy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I had sight impairment but only on the right side, bottom corner and could not think of words that I wanted to use. No headache or other physical signs and it all ceased after about thirty minutes. The first time was about three years ago and have just had another transient ischemic attack with exactly the same symptoms and time frame. No other side effects whatsoever.

Comment from: Barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I could not feel the rim of my coffee cup and that was the first sign of my transient ischemic attack.

Comment from: Adjusting, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I am a 51 year old female. I have no hypertension, no high cholesterol, and never smoked. I kept having headaches after I would run. After ruling out hydration problems, I had a headache that wouldn't go away. My primary care physician said it was intractable migraine. I never had a migraine like this! A few weeks later I had my first TIA (transient ischemic attack). I was in a bookstore when I may have had the first signs (lost my coordination). The pressure in my neck and head was awful. When the burning sensation occurred a few weeks later and I suddenly went weak, nauseated, uncoordinated, I found doctors who quickly responded. Thank goodness.

Comment from: happn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

I had my first TIA (transient ischemic attack) at about 17 and they became routine until my late 20s. My last one was at about 30. At their height, I'd have several a day, just about every time I'd stand up. In my 20s, I had a couple of convulsions with them. I finally went to the doctor who said I had cluster headaches. I didn't know about TIAs until I read an article and said that's what happens to me! But every time I tell a doctor, they blow me off as if I have no idea what I'm talking about. Now my 15 year old is starting to have them. She's had 3 and we have a neurologist and ophthalmologist checking her out for migraines. She has been having headache almost daily for 7 weeks now. Neurologist ignored me. The ophthalmologist saw vascular narrowing on the right side of sinuses and has ordered a new MRI and an MRA. My daughter's primary physician said no way is she having TIAs. I'm doing all kinds of research. The kid has only been to school for 12 days in 7 weeks. I need answers, not roadblocks.

Comment from: ValerieD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have blood clots in my brain all over, the oldest dating back 5 years or so. The last MRI shows at least 13 blood clots, affecting my thinking and I also have tumors. I have been to so many doctors and still no one knows what's causing them, they say I am having transient ischemic attack. I am 47 and not sure what to do. My protein C and S are high and keep getting higher. I am having more and more tumors. I went to the hospital 2 weeks ago and they left me sitting in a waiting room for over an hour, until I got upset and left.

Comment from: MAZ, 55-64 Female Published: April 22

I was doing some physical therapy on my neck specifically exercises building upper back muscles when I suddenly couldn't remember what the tech had told me to do. I also did another exercise without ever remembering that I did it. The loss of memory was the big thing that occurred but I regained it after about an hour. I also had a BP of 190/100. I remember hearing an ambulance was being called but do not remember very much about being taken by ambulance to the ER. Some blood tests were run and a CT scan but everything came out OK. My doctor has since ordered an MRI of my brain, an MRA and an ultra sound of my carotid arteries. Although I appeared to outsiders as not losing consciousness, I couldn't remember what I had been doing, the president of the US and what day it was. Once I came out of this state, I could remember the president and day but have no idea what had happened at PT after a certain point.

Comment from: breeze, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am 51 years of age and recently had a TIA. Oddly I woke from a sound sleep and felt what I can best describe as a buzzing sensation in my left arm and shoulder and left jaw. I woke my wife as this sensation wasn't going away after about twenty minutes. She suggested that we take my BP, which turned out to be 195 over 100. She said we were going to an ER and off we went. On arrival they by-passed the routine and took to me to a CT scan and gave me Aspirin. I was never told why it happened but after an EKG, MRI and a couple echo's. I was told it was a TIA and to date don't know why but you can bet I'll work on the things I can control like stopping smoking.


Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery See Slideshow
Comment from: Disillusioned, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I believe I had a TIA yesterday, 9/8/10. The acute dizziness lasted about 20 minutes, but the weakness lasted much longer than that. I owe my quick recovery to the EMTs who came to my home, particularly one who had the presence of mind to hook me up to a glucose IV, and give me oxygen, as well as test all my vitals and draw blood. The ER where I was taken was so crowded and I was told I would not be seen for "several" hours because of the backlog even though I had suffered a TIA and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. At home before the EMTs were called and I became aware that I was dizzy and imbalanced, with my vision fading in and out, I called my niece and she kept me from succumbing by just talking to me. While I was talking with her I staggered to my medicine cabinet and took two baby aspirin, which helped immensely. I believe that one of the greatest obstacles our healthcare providers are facing today is the health insurance companies which control the healthcare industry, i.e., doctors, hospitals, clinics. I believe that people are dying unnecessarily simply because they cannot be seen when a major medical problem arises, such as a TIA, because the patient has to wait 10 to 30 or more hours before they can be seen because the hospital ERs are backlogged or have no rooms available within to examine a patient. In one of the "greatest" countries in the world, it is outrageous that our healthcare is worse than that of a third world country, and I do have health insurance for which I pay, unfortunately, the $8,000+ a year that I pay for it did me absolutely no good in this instance.

Comment from: OlinMc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am now 85 years old, but had about 3 TIA's in my mid teens. No more until 1 at about age 29, then no more until about age 70. Since then, I've averaged 3 or 4 per year. All begin alike, I note a visual distortion first, then it moves to numbness somewhere on the left side, maybe the cheek, or fingers, or other. It can move in 10 minutes to where I might not control my movements and will fall. Several trips to the ER have occurred, with my family doctor involved. All sorts of tests show no serious problem, I've been on BP meds and Plavix for many years, still have these every so often. NOW, of the most valuable use, my family doctor suggested several years ago to INCREASE my CO-2 in the blood to make the blood vessels enlarge, in the area of the brain where the clot/constriction occurred. He suggested breathing in and out of a plastic bag, until I had to catch a fresh breath, and keep doing it until the TIA was checked early on. That has worked for me for at least 9 out of 10 such events. Unfortunately, the latest occurred when I was sound asleep, and I didn't wake up to use the bag to breathe in and out of. As a result its effects were serious: Severe headache for the entire next day, and visual distortion still with me after over a week.

Comment from: TIAsurvivor65, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

The vision in my right eye caused everything I saw to turn sideways. My left eye had normal sight. My speech was slurred and it was difficult to walk. I had to use both arms to try to pull myself into bed. I was very lucky because I took a nap for an hour and woke up with the same symptoms. It was then my husband took me to the hospital. The eyesight readjusted about two hours after on-set and my speech was somewhat slurred for about two weeks afterward. They were never able to figure out why this happened. I was 40 years old and no history of high blood pressure or high cholesterol. It could have turned out very badly because I took a nap instead of going directly to the hospital. I just never imagined that I was having a stroke. I was very lucky.

Comment from: JL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my first TIA in 2007. It started with dizziness and almost passing out. The MRIs have shown many mini strokes and the last one I had in 2012 left me with weakness on the left side and my balance is off. I can't walk a straight line.

Comment from: dm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had numbness in the left side of my face, and a strong pins and needles sensation in my tongue. My left eye felt as if the corner was being tugged down and my hand trembled. About a half hour later I had pressure in the center of my chest.

Comment from: teddy778, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

The onset of my TIA was confusion while working at a computer. Could not understand why I was unable to make changes to a document. Then realized I was unable to control my right arm. It basically was a dead weight in my lap and I started sweating profusely. Was able to stand and walk after 2 - 3 minutes of initial onset, but was weak and unstable on my feet. Made it to our nursing office with assistance where my BP was 200/something. BP came down to 150/something in a few minutes. Was admitted to a hospital where CT scan was clean but ultrasound showed my left carotid artery totally blocked. An angiogram confirmed the ultrasound results. I was placed on Plavix and aspirin.

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 52 years old. I woke up feeling like I had the best sleep in a long time. I was taking ornaments off my Christmas tree and decided to go have breakfast instead and finish what I was doing later after work. I had a cup of coffee earlier. So got some cereal and coffee and sat down to watch early news when I felt I couldn't swallow and milk flowing out of my mouth feeling exhausted, confused and very sleepy. I reach over for my coffee it felt like a stroke light motion and I couldn't pick up my cup w/my right arm, but the numbness on my lips was on my left side of my face, I tried to call for help but my speech was slurred. I managed to get off the chair and made my way to where my husband was sleeping pulling the blankets off him somehow getting weaker and panicking more and more. It lasted about 30 min. Being in denial and afraid to call in to work, I took a shower still hoping it was a bad nightmare I went to work and had another episode. This time I was taken to the hospital. They did a CT scan, MRI and a heart scan. Everything was negative. I was dismissed after six days in the.

Comment from: chuck0454, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I had my first TIA last Tuesday. I could not speak in a complete sentence, nor was I saying what I thought I was saying. I felt weak and disorganized. My hand writing was like a kindergarten student. My wife took me to the hospital where they performed CAT scans and kept me overnight. I could not state my birthday even though I thought I was. Wednesday morning I was normal, answering questions, including my birthday. They performed MRI, MRA, stress tests and drew 5 vials of blood. I still feel weak and occasionally dizzy.

Comment from: walstleu, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 78 year old diabetic male. While driving on the interstate, my vision became very blurry, like looking through an etched window. I was able to pull my car to the side of the road, but my thoughts were fuzzy, and I was unsure of where the side of the road actually was. I waited about 2 minutes, my vision cleared, and I was able to drive home, and then to the ER. Since then I have had a number of vision tests, and my carotids and heart scanned and no major problems have been found. My caretaker diagnosed me with a TIA, and I have upgraded my cholesterol meds, My BP has always been normal and my diabetes is well controlled with insulin. I have had no further TIA attacks in the past 4 months.

Published: December 29

Two days ago I had my first TIA at age 49. It happened at 4:00 a.m. first my lips went numb I knew something was wrong I was visiting family and I sent my 14 yr old granddaughter upstairs for my son and by the time he got to me my right side was numb and all drawn up went to hospital by ambulance. It took 24 hours for me to return back to normal and my right leg is still weak.

Comment from: Trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a stroke in May of 2000, did not know I had one, but I was walking and fell flat on my face thinking I tripped over my pocket book which I held on my left arm. Went a whole week feeling tired going to my office working but kept losing my balance and went to the doctor. They immediately sent me to hospital where I had a CT scan and MRI and they found a small blockage on right side of my brain in the basal ganglia area. I was treated for that during my hospital stay and through therapy.

Comment from: knitbug11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I am a 55 year-old female. I suddenly lost my balance and fell into my 13 year-old daughter who was seated on a vanity table stool. She got up to allow me to sit down and told me later that my speech was slower. I wasn't aware of this, but remembered seeing double of everything, two dogs, two lamps, two beds. She asked me how many fingers she was holding up. I said four and she said "no, mom. Two." She immediately called my husband at work and to the ED we went. All scans CT, MRI, MRA were negative. I am already taking Zocor and that was doubled. At the time of the event, I chewed an aspirin even though this is really for a heart attack. I also take a daily 325 mg. aspirin. Also, during the event, I had a very euphoric feeling during the event and felt very relaxed. I am glad to hear that others my age or younger have experienced this.

Comment from: roberta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I may go as long as 2yrs without a TIA then I may have several. Mine begins with double vision and what I think I am saying is not what comes out. I then realize what I am saying does not make sense. I try to follow orders but my attention span is only seconds long. I have been hospitalized because one lasted over 8 hrs. No damage resulted that I knew of but recently I noticed the right upper lip disappeared into my mouth from drooping. My main concern afterwards is how tired I am because it usually takes 2 days to get my strength back.

Comment from: Groober, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I was at a friend's house for dinner with my wife and when we were saying our good-byes I suddenly felt extremely dizzy. I made my way to the car and managed to get in the passenger seat. As my wife got in and started the car she looked over and I was slumped over in my seat, non responsive, grayish white and sweating buckets. After a minute or so I regained consciousness. My pulse was weak and I could not talk. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't get the words out. My arms and legs were numb and tingly for another 30 min or so, and the sweating subsided after about 15-20 min. The emergency was 30 min. away and by the time we got close enough to go I felt better and decided to go home. (Dummy). My doctor is now in the process of conducting further tests!

Comment from: mcstwogo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

When I had my TIA I was 44 years old. I had gotten up in the night to go to the bathroom and all of a sudden the entire left side of my body went completely numb. I couldn't speak and my left hand drew up. I had to wait a few minutes before I could finally speak enough to get my husband up to help me. I was a fool and didn't go to the doctor right away and ended up having to have a triple by-pass 3 months later. Then I had to have 2 stents, and I had a heart attack.

Comment from: April, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

The whole right side of my body went heavy, I couldn't move it, my face was saggy, and my husband noted my right eyebrow was lower than my left. I could barely speak and had an extremely hard time thinking. After 10 minutes my body felt okay, after an hour my speaking was better. I was an idiot and didn't go to emergency, but did see my doctor the next day. There was muscle weakness still in the right side. I am waiting for CT scan, an ECHO and a Doppler. I do not smoke, have lost over 100 lbs in the past 1.5 years, and I have perfect blood pressure and cholesterol so finding out why this happened and stopping it is main concern.

Comment from: FRANKPAR, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I am an 83 year old male. While standing in the bathroom after just arising in the morning, my left leg "gave out” and I lurched against the wall, trying to maintain my balance. My entire left side became numb, including my left arm which hung uselessly at my side. When trying to brush my teeth, I could not direct the toothbrush into my mouth. These symptoms lasted about three minutes. I was later driven to the hospital where I was admitted for an overnight stay and given numerous tests, including functional tests by a Neurologist. No further symptoms occurred. Diagnosis was that I have a 50% blockage in my right Carotid artery. It is assumed that a small particle of plaque broke off and traveled to my brain.

Comment from: yankee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

When I had my TIA, I had trouble talking with my wife. I knew what I wanted to say, but the words would not come out.

Comment from: anewk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had congestive heart failure in 1998. Female symptoms of a heart attack are not always the same as the ones we all know to watch for so at the time I didn't know I was having one. Found out I have high blood pressure in 2007. I have huge problem with edema, taking 2 different diuretics (1 also helps with the HBP). My TIAs started in 2008. Most of the time they start with facial numbness; feeling nauseated and I get confusion sometimes. They are happening more often. I have had an echocardiogram in 2006 that showed a valve not opening and closing correctly. I live alone and worry about this sometimes. Tonight, my vision was so blurred I could not see to find phone to call for help. Because they are happening more often, I am having more tests done.

Published: April 27

I had a TIA while pregnant with my third baby. I lost all vision in my left eye and lost all feeling on the left side of my body. I regained control of everything within a period of about 12 hours but was kept in the hospital for a week for observation. I was placed on Plavix for the remainder of my pregnancy (I have an aspirin allergy) and have been fine since.

Comment from: debelvis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I drove to a restaurant one morning on the way to work, went to work, sat at my computer with a blank stare and didn't know what was going on. I don't remember driving to the restaurant or work. My niece at work drove me to my primary care doctor who performed test on me. I don't remember anything that went on for 2 days.

Comment from: Artsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I sat down at my computer and couldn't focus on the words on the screen. Looked away and everything looked double. A friend who is a medic told me I needed to go to the ER immediately. Another friend drove me - on the drive I saw flashing strobe lights on the upper right of my vision. The ER folks got me in immediately - didn't even have a chance to get to the waiting room. I have no risk factors; my blood pressure is normally low, my cholesterol is very low, and I don't smoke. Went back to work after an MRI which showed nothing, and have started taking a daily aspirin.

Comment from: seamstress, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 75 yr old female and have had TIAs for 18 yrs. I have a family history of hypertension and strokes. I have taken meds for hypertension and high cholesterol for 20 yrs. Recently suffering drop attacks and problems with left ear and fluid in both ears. Daily baby aspirin for many years evidently did not reduce TIAs (left eye only) and after recent drop attacks and all kinds of tests during 3-day hospitalization, was put on medication. Have had only two additional drop attacks since then, but have recurrent left ear pain, now seeing ENT doctor. I quit smoking 6 months ago (after 50 years). I hope will improve, along with moderate exercise; cholesterol and blood pressure remain under control.

Comment from: TOY2010, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am a 5th grade teacher. I was at work and suddenly I had a very bad headache. Then I felt like I wanted to vomit, so I went sit by the air conditioner. Then, my left arm and face became numb. This all happened within 10 minutes. I was rushed to ER. I am only 28 years old and I will definitely take any steps necessary to prevent a future stroke.

Comment from: sue60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

At time of attack, my blood pressure was very high. A few hours after my attack, my blood pressure became normal. I had no pain with the attack. My vision went blank, not black, with horizontal bars, and color was present. My vision returned, but was fuzzy, and then finally returned to normal. The episode was about 10 minutes. I wasn't dizzy or nauseous. About a half hour later, I found out I couldn't spell simple 4 and 5 letter words when trying to reply to emails. All motor skills seemed fine throughout. Spelling popped back in after some minutes.

Comment from: John 87, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I awakened form a short nap approximately 1:00pm.The right side of my face from the cheek bone down was numb. I had a pain on the right outside of my head and I felt dizzy and off-balance. I immediately went to the computer and typed in STROKE. The answer spelled out several conditions of which I had three out of five. I called my wife and we immediately left for a doctor's office. Just prior to leaving I took two (2) Bayer aspirins (325mg).The doctor examined me and recommended that I go to the hospital. He called a Nassau County ambulance and went directly. They immediately give me an injection of an anti-coagulant and did a CT scan of my head. I was in the hospital within 45 minutes of not feeling well.

Comment from: Cat lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My experience was different. I was watching TV when the vision in my right eye faded into blackness then slowly returned to normal. There was no pain and no warning. After extensive tests, no abnormalities were found. My doctor put me on blood thinners, but we found I cannot take them without having a major stomach crisis. My blood pressure is naturally 100/60 and my cholesterol is 155 with medication. I learned that the vision change is an emergency which I hope I never have again.

Comment from: kitemaker, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

When I had TIA, I had difficulty reading, as in the words I was reading made no sense. I had difficulty speaking, as in I know what I wanted to say but the words would not come out. I also had a sensation of pins and needles in my right hand. I was a bit confused as well, as in I could not remember my dog's name. This ordeal lasted about 4 to 5 minutes, followed by a headache. Then I had a general feeling of being unwell, which last about three hours. I have had several of these episodes, and my doctor has me on medication to help control my symptoms.

Comment from: Florita, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

The day before I had the TIA, I was dizzy at work and my blood pressure was high. I also had ringing in one of my ears. I felt like I was in a big pool of water in my head. I was rather loopy. On Valentine's Day, I was in the kitchen and I suddenly fell to the floor, like someone had pushed me hard. I grabbed the counter with my right hand to hold myself up. I was so shocked at what was happening to me, but I finally made it to my bed. By this time, I was in a cold sweat. I had begun to feel my eyes closing and I had a lump in my throat. I was having problems swallowing and I could feel my mouth drawing to the left. After all was said and done, I was put on two blood pressure medications and I am taking two baby aspirin per day.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: January 20

I am seventy years old. I was awake for two hours when I bent over to pick up something. I felt as if a heavy weight was pushing me down. I fell against the couch and couldn't get up for a minute. When I did I felt dizzy. I sat down. I noticed my right arm felt clumsy as I lifted it to my face. Also my speech felt a little labored like after a Novocain shot at the dentist. My brother was with me and I said I thought I was having a stroke. We did the smile test and he said the right side of my smile was not even with the left side. We left for the ER. I was unsteady walking and felt off balance. The symptoms subsided while waiting for the doctor. My BP was high 168/80. I felt back to normal within one hour of onset. I am about 70 lbs overweight, and am on cholesterol and BP medication and take 81mg aspirin, don't smoke and have a family history of diabetes. My aspirin dose was increased to 325mg. My blood pressure meds were increased. And I am recording my blood pressure daily.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 13

At around 1 a.m. my husband went to the bathroom. He got dizzy and fell to his knees tried to call out but could not talk. I heard a moaning and went in helped him up and he could talk again. Brought him to E.R. they said he had a T.I.A. We are seeking further med. care through the V.A.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I am a 45 year old female and I had a TIA on Nov. 21, 2010. I was standing in the kitchen talking to my daughter when she asked me what in the world did I just say. I attempted to repeat what I had said and realized myself that it was gibberish. I looked at my right arm and was scared because I could not feel it at all and did not recognize it as my own. Needless to say off to the ER and a hospital stay of a couple of days along with a plethora of tests. Result TIA and major life style changes to avoid having the more serious stroke that this is a warning of.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I was very restless the night before sleeping. I woke up that morning -unaware of where I was. Later that day, my voice was slurred, and I slumped, needing attention to get me to hospital. The following day I appeared to respond quite well to all tests -could raise my arms -voice back to normal -even able to project my tongue without it going to the side. On a memory test I could remember the words supplied. I was kept in the hospital three days before release.

Comment from: rosa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

Last week I started feeling like spider web was in my face and then I started feeling really weak and then on one of my hands the fingers stared twisted and my vision was blurred and I couldn't breathe.

Comment from: L. R. Johnson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

Actually, I'm seeking advice. I'm a 59 year old male; non-smoker with a moderate BP problem (currently 80mg BP med). My concern is maintaining my balance when walking; periodic numbness in my right leg and feet. Sometimes it feels as if my right leg is responding slower than my left leg. Also whenever I attempt to lie on my right side, I immediately become dizzy. I've had MRI's on my brain; right leg; as well as my heart.

Comment from: Concerned, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

My mother, age 80 and a type 1 diabetic has had several alarming short events which I think may be TIAs. She suddenly becomes unfocused (to say the least), her face sags, she is not able to speak in words, and sometimes growling sounds other times disjointed syllables. She then appears to fall asleep. The events last only a couple of minutes and are several months apart. Since she also suffers from Alzheimer's it is difficult to know exactly what is happening. She has no memory about the time she is out of it and thinks we are making something out of nothing.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

It started with a dead/tingling left arm. The following day the left leg was very slightly affected in that I would occasionally trip when walking. The left arm remained numb for 24 hours or so and then it was very weak and I couldn't straighten my fingers for two days or more. I was not admitted in hospital at all. The MRI scan took place 4 days later. The Doppler was almost 2 months later.

Comment from: Beany53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

Excellent article. I have a friend who was hospitalized recently due to "unexplained symptoms" such as twisted side of face, swelling under one eye with no change in color, but full of what appeared to be fluid. Tests included blood work, scan and IV antibiotics. They told him everything was "OK". Nothing was found. The doctor told him that he probably got bitten by something. I would like to know what you think about this situation. I told him he probably had a TIA. He also doesn't take a daily ASA. His only diagnosis is BPH and is on medication for it. I was a nurse for over 30 years.


Health Solutions From Our Sponsors