©2018 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved. eMedicineHealth does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See Additional Information.



Please describe your stroke recovery. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My stroke was in January of 2010 when I was 48 years old. I feel 97 percent recovered. At the time of my stroke, I had no risk factors other than the birth control pill. I had no high blood pressure and was of normal weight. I am a marathon and ultra-marathon runner who has completed 15 marathons and 11 ultras (31 miles to 62 miles). Following a 20-mile training run, I showered, did chores around the house and was preparing to go shopping with my family. I had been ill with a little cold and had been taking cold medicine. Suddenly, I felt a bit woozy and thought I might have low blood sugar, so I ate a small tangerine. After a few minutes, I began to struggle to finish sentences as I kept loosing the words. The reason my husband took me to the hospital was because I could not read. I could not understand the words on my Blackberry screen. I was in the hospital for five days and went back to work full-time after just two weeks. I mostly struggled with reading comprehension and speech. I regained my ability to write sooner than the reading comprehension. I had trouble following directions and got mixed up easily. Within five weeks after the stroke, I finished a marathon (26.2 miles) and six weeks following the stroke, I completed a 54-mile timed race. I'm convinced that running speeded my recovery. I am now training for a 100-mile endurance race. I now am able to read an entire novel. I work full-time and no one can tell I've had a stroke. I am on only two medicines: Losartan and Plavix. I take CoQ10 and fish oil daily, and I think they help with the cognition. I really noticed the difference when I began taking them.

Comment from: mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a small stroke. I was visiting my wife at a nursing home and my right side of my face and tongue went numb. I could not speak and my right hand and arm went very weak. 911 was called and off to the hospital I went. The CT scan saw something. MRI the next day confirmed a parietal lobe stroke. I was in the hospital for three day. My speech is fine and the weakness in my hand is gone.

Comment from: Fitz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a stroke in August of 2010 while on vacation that affected my left side. Fortunately it was only motor involvement. I had atrial fibrillation prior to leaving for vacation but my CHAD score was 0 so my physician told me I could start anti-coagulating when I came home. On day 5 I flew home and was admitted to an acute rehab facility to begin therapy. I was told that wherever I was at one year I would probably stay. Fortunately, my therapists do not believe that, as I am still improving 14 months later. My left arm was unresponsive for the first six months but the strength is slowly coming back. I have been able to walk with some sort of device from the time I went home (one month post-stroke). I returned to work full-time after seven months, able to drive. I was extremely naive in thinking I would recover much more quickly than I have, but thanks to my supportive therapists, I refuse to give up and believe that one day I will be able to use my left side almost normally. I figured I'd post this because we get tired of reading all the miracle stories and there are a lot of us out there who are frustrated with our progress and have to keep plugging along and fighting the fight.


Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery See Slideshow

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors