Sepsis (Blood Infection)


How was your sepsis treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lost mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

They transferred my daughter from one hospital to another and she was being treated for COVID-19 for days, staying stable and getting better; only to never get results in, when she finally died because they misdiagnosed. When they found out the sepsis, they changed her medicine from the one that was helping her to one they thought she needed, but too late.

Comment from: Denise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I had a gallstone operation in which 1 gallstone was left behind. Don't remember much after I blacked out. Ended up with major surgery from in between my breastbone to underneath my belly button. I had a tube inserted in this surgery to drain stuff out. I was in critical care for 5 weeks after my family were told I had contracted sepsis and was very ill. I need a hernia operation, a large one pushed back in and mesh inserted. Worried if having contracted sepsis before will affect me again if I had this operation.

Comment from: CHeath, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 27

I was in hospital with septic shock. After 7 days I was able to go home, but I was having outpatient infusion daily, for 14 days. It ended 3 days ago. My blood pressure dropped to 48/60 along with a fever of 103. For a week prior I wasn't feeling well but I had no idea I was so ill. Because of nephritis, I also have a tube in my left kidney to drain, which is not functioning properly. Next appointment is with the urologist. I'm scared, confused and not even sure I'm better.

Comment from: Mei, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 07

End of February, 2019, I felt generally unwell, and was drifting. I called 911. Paramedics couldn't feel a heartbeat, so they applied a 'heat shoe' to my left breast; as a result of which, my left breast was burned, and now I have huge keloids on my left breast. It seems I was in a coma from sepsis for quite a while. I was on IV, and had all sorts of tests done. Finally, the doctors blasted my system with antibiotics, oral and IV, 24/7. My husband was summoned - to prepare for the worst. I was discharged by end of May.

Comment from: NSPhiphop, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I went to the emergency room (ER). I had severe pain in my left shoulder, as a week prior I fell in the snow while walking. The ER took x-rays, said shoulders fracture, and sent me to see a bone doctor, who gave Vicodin prescription. For a week I accepted the pain until I got deathly ill, went to the ER, and said I was in too much pain. They said I was drug seeking and told me to go home (I'd be dead). I refused, asked for another doctor who noticed right away I had severe sepsis; I spent 36 days in the hospital. I had surgery 5 times; vancomycin saved me.

Comment from: Lc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

They can't treat my sepsis and they won't try to help me.

Comment from: Mike K, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 13

My wife battled two bouts of sepsis, and is not waking up after 4 days without sedative. I have no idea what is going on here. She can just about open her eyes and squeeze my hand. She cries every time I try and talk to her. This is tearing me up inside. I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: Katcarer , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I was admitted to the hospital with high temperature and low blood pressure and oxygen levels. I had pain in my back, hip and right leg. I felt lightheaded and nauseous. I thought I was being treated for a urinary tract infection (UTI) and lung infection. I was on intravenous antibiotics and fluids and oxygen. I was in for 5 days and allowed home in the evening of my 5th day with amoxicillin to take 3 times a day for 4 days. I wasn’t aware I had severe pneumonia, E. coli, UTI and anemia and urosepsis! I still feel ill.

Comment from: Jemma , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I contracted sepsis after a procedure. I had multiple blood tests but none picked it up. I went into Accident and Emergency feeling unwell to begin with. My C-reactive protein was 400 plus when I had more blood drawn. I was in ICU for 8 days and on the ward for a few days following. I had a food tube, 60 percent oxygen, IVs also from my neck. They thought I was going to die. I was on 3 different antibiotics then also contracted strep A. I’m 23. It’s been 3 months and I’m going back to work soon.

Comment from: tinaisme123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had to go and get a PICC IV inserted. Three times a day I had to do strong antibiotics through the PICC IV, or, the doctors said my organs would start shutting down. It took 6 weeks, but thank goodness the sepsis is gone!


Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes See Slideshow
Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

I lost my daughter to sepsis, because the doctors let the infection get so ahead, and by the time she was treated she was going into organ failure. When they knew it was sepsis, it turned into septic shock. She went into labor early in 28 weeks. Something was wrong. We have the baby now, he'll never get to meet her, and my life will never be the same. They thought it was her heart, gave her a heart catheter and said everything was fine with her heart. Then they sent a psychiatrist; they made mistakes every day.

Comment from: Thankful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

About 3 months ago I dropped a glass candle jar on my big toe. Thinking I injured it, I accepted the pain. X-rays looked fine. I began to break out in a constantly itching and spreading purple-red rash all over. Dermatologists said it was allergy. Podiatrist said it was an ingrown toenail and opened, removed the side of the nail, and drained a huge amount of pus. After a strong antibiotic, the rash began to disappear. I believe I had the beginning of sepsis from infection in my toe. Thank goodness the cause was found in time.

Comment from: BrittanyFarrell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I am a 31 year old single mum. I have had septicemia (staph) for 6 months (since June 3rd 2018), the cause is unknown. I spent 6 days in hospital, having constant IV antibiotics and fluids. While in hospital, I gave birth to my son too early and he passed away the minute he was born. Since leaving hospital, I have had numerous courses of triple antibiotics, but nothing is working! I have daily fevers (40 to 42 C), I blackout 20 plus times a day, and I have trouble staying awake.

Comment from: Caotiuos, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm a 67 year old male and a two time survivor of sepsis. I'm also a long term type 2 diabetic. Both rounds with sepsis were right after prostate procedures. Surgery on Wednesday, discharged on Thursday, and back in on Friday with 102 plus fever. I now have an infectious disease doctor on my list of caregivers. I now take antibiotics before any procedure, including dental work. I've been told that anyone that has had sepsis is more likely to get it again. I'm not looking forward two round 3!

Comment from: Max, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I woke up at 1 am with rigors and felt extremely unwell all day. At 15:30 my foot started going red and by that evening I was in Accident and Emergency (AE) with pulse 135 and temperature 40.2 despite paracetamol, etc., and numb fingers. They took blood samples and C-reactive protein was 397. They sent me home with IV line in and I was asked to return for next 3 days for IV antibiotics to treat my sepsis. After being home under 2 hours I took a dive and blue lighted back to AE where I was admitted and given IV antibiotics for 14 days. Scary.

Comment from: Sky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had two infected cuts on my body from gardening, the skin swelled it was very painful, hot, and discolored. I had treatment from a homeopath, it did help initially and then it suddenly got worse. I felt my health deteriorating, felt so confused, had red lines going up my arm and leg, and was cold with temp 35.00, going hot and cold. Blood pressure (BP) was initially elevated as stressed by pain, then went low. My CRP was up 7 and WCC low; it is always low with infection, I felt really ill. I had the infection 2 weeks. I went to the hospital and the doctor was very busy and short-staffed. I told him I felt like collapsing and asked for a wheelchair, and he told me to get up and walk; he did not get how serious it was. He gave me IV antibiotics 2 g flucloxacillin which I believe saved my life, and oral antibiotics for 7 days. I spent 2 weeks collapsing, I could not drive or do anything. My friend took me to a general physician and my BP was 90/50, he still did not get how ill I was. It was the most frightening experience of my life that I could not get the first doctor to understand how ill I was. I am still recovering 6 weeks later, and still have periods of low BP 90/50. Never ever underestimate a serious skin infection, it can gallop and spread. I am a registered nurse of 35 years’ experience and I knew this was far from normal.

Comment from: xxxxx, (Patient) Published: June 06

I had a case of diarrhea. My doctor sent me to the hospital to have it checked out. They took a sample and said I had sepsis so they gave me an antibiotic. This treatment did not help. About a week later my husband told me what happened. I have no memory of it at all. He said that he took my temperature and said it was 105, and that I was confused, so he called an ambulance to take me to the emergency room. They put me in ICU. After a week I was not getting any better, so they had to intubate me. I was intubated for 6 days, and every time they tried to get me breathing on my own it didn't work. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and rehabilitation for 1 week. My family still tells me the awful stories of those 3 weeks.

Comment from: Shannnon , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was completely lied to and misled into thinking I had heart stopping blood flow in my arm causing compartment syndrome; and me losing parts of arm only to find out after telling my boyfriend about it and him saying it didn’t add up. Then I got the records and found out I had this septic thrombosis and a mild stroke. These doctors didn’t even give me a follow up and I have brain lesion now. I had to take pills afterwards for a while but I didn't even know it happened.


What is hemophilia? See Answer
Comment from: J.E., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I am only 40 years old and have always been healthy. I was told that I could never have kids. Well, I got pregnant. The baby stopped growing at 8 weeks. The fetus stayed in me for another 6 weeks. I started running a temperature so I went to the emergency room. I had a D and C. I was also told that I had a bad kidney infection. Well, it happened to me again 4 months later. No doctor can tell me why I keep having recurring bouts of septicemia.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had a routine biopsy in hip. Days later in I was in severe pain, had temperature and unable to urinate. I could not move and felt like paralysis. I was taken to the hospital; no apology from the hospital for giving me the infection. I had sepsis in the hip bone. Two months later I got out of the hospital with no aftercare put in place, and have ongoing bowel and urinary issues, hip pain and chronic fatigue. I have never felt the same person and am scared of it returning. I have no aftercare and constant battle with the services to tell me what is wrong now.

Comment from: Judy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My sepsis was treated with intravenous flucloxacillin and oxygen.

Comment from: Patients mother, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My 16 year old daughter had sepsis. she was suffering from severe tonsillitis, her symptoms for sepsis were, high temperature, red rash over most of her body, fast heartbeat, dehydration, lethargic, sickness, low blood pressure, sore throat, she was in hospital for 3 days on IV drip then sent home with antibiotics. Our doctor was brilliant and spotted it straight away and sent us to hospital.

Comment from: RN in Idaho, Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My husband practically carried me into the ER 6 hours after I started feeling ill, with a 104 temp. Dr. diagnosed me with UTI, although my urinalysis was perfectly clear w/out bacteria. Dr. gave me antibiotic IV and prescription and sent me home totally unaware of who or where I was. I couldn't even walk. I spent the next day and half unconscious (the Dr. told my husband not to worry, I'd be "fine," so he let me sleep although I was really semi-comatose). The hospital called me over 24 hours later and said to take me to the ER by an ambulance as my blood cultures were positive for staph and I was septic. My husband rushed me back and I spent 5 weeks in the hospital with IV antibiotics, full depth incision and drainage of 2 nasty abscesses in my foot/ankle and shin that took 5 months to heal. I ended up in ICU in sudden respiratory and cardiac failure due to over 8 liters of fluid overload. After recovering from C-diff diarrhea, critical low potassium, severe anemia and 3 units transfused, paralytic ileus, and nearly dying a couple of times, I went to rehab for 10 days to learn to walk again. The wound doctor diagnosed me with bilateral Charcot foot 2 months after I was discharged. The hospital doctors mentioned Charcot joint, but never followed through. By the time I was discharged from rehab and walked around with a walker for 2 months, my feet were nearly destroyed from the Charcot deformities. I told the orthopedist twice that I could barely walk on my feet; he didn't say anything. Why didn't the ER doc admit me the first time (he documented I was alert and oriented and able to answer questions, although my husband told me later he couldn't understand a word I tried to say to him or the doctor). The radiology tech told me later he had never seen anyone so sick come in through the ER and be discharged! Why didn't the doctors and nurses recognize my fluid overload before I ended up in ICU? Why didn't the orthopedic surgeon who drained my leg abscesses twice follow through with proper treatment for Charcot (non-weight bearing casting)? I know God saved my life, in spite of the doctors.

Comment from: Ghulam m, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

Three months back I started having an infection, and immediately I went to the clinic. The doctor gave me an injection. Then in 4 days I finished the medicines and in 1 week the infection came back, I don’t know what to do, I am worried about sepsis.

Comment from: may, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: July 30

The septic area was numbed and cut open, and the drained section was supposed to be removed. But two days later it came back in all three of my fingers instead of one and spread to my hand. I don't know what's going to happen, I can't afford antibiotics.

Comment from: Ossie, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I had contracted sepsis in the hospital after an operation going badly wrong. I had my stomach and bowel cut which left me in a coma and in intensive care. This was 3 years ago and I still have signs of sepsis to this day.

Comment from: Angelinwaiting, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My mom had sepsis. I found her in her bathroom, ice cold. I had to call someone from her senior citizen duplex to come unlock the door and he said for me to wait on her couch. He said she was not breathing and that he thought she had passed. All I could do was scream, then he said she was breathing a little. I stayed in the hospital the whole week. She came home and had to have home health care for her wounds she had. She was diabetic. I guess they didn't do something right, she passed away 3 months later.

Comment from: ralph6malph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I told the surgeon about stiffness beside location of implant in place to fix busted knee cap. I was dumb enough to even go to that place, they told me no x-rays of implant were done. They told me it was ok and because of sepsis my leg was amputated by the surgeon who is well known for lots of amputations.

Comment from: anny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I went to hospital with bad chest pains, they discovered pericarditis, and treated it with antibiotics. When out of hospital a follow up letter from my cardiologist said I had sepsis as well as pericarditis but I was never once told this about the sepsis so was shocked to read it in a letter.

Comment from: billybones, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I had sepsis in 2010 after an ostomy, spent 21 days in ICU and 3 months total in the hospital. This is not something you can take an aspirin for. Some 6 years later, diet and life style change, all is well. I wish I could remember all that had happened, but I don't. Friends and family had written me off. It was very hard to control this awful disease.

Comment from: marsha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was having an abortion which resulted in my having sepsis and being hospitalized. It was done by a doctor, who used a method causing sepsis. Having been near death and suffering through the trauma I am lucky to be alive.

Comment from: Bubbie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm a 30 year old female. It started with a headache that turned into a bad flu. I had fevers of 103 degrees, bad chills, and I was sweating through clothes and bed sheets. I saw the doctor after this was ongoing for two weeks. After no improvement of symptoms I went to the ER twice. Both times I was diagnosed as only having a fever. I followed up with my primary doctor to go over blood test to find that I had sepsis, anemia and hyperthyroidism. There was no clear indication of what was the cause of the sepsis. I had a chest X-ray, chest and head CT scan, brain MRI. I recently had another blood test done a week later to find that the hyperthyroidism is gone but the infection is still there as well as the anemia.

Comment from: redhead101, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I went in for the removal of veins in my legs to reduce swelling. Then it turned into lymphedema. Then it turned into sepsis. I spent next two years in hospital and nursing homes. I finally was taken out of the last nursing home, and my husband took me off most scripts, such as I call them "my crazy drugs" to help me sleep at night. I am much better now except for some mobility problems.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I went into the outpatient part of the local hospital to have a routine test done and ended up in the recovery room hearing words like "I can't get her stats up." I was told I had aspirated pneumonia. Luckily one of the hospital doctors noticed that I was shaking and could not breathe. She took a blood culture that showed I had Staph in my blood. I was in the hospital for 6 days.

Comment from: Lmanzo, 45-54 Female Published: September 30

I was in ICU for six weeks on life support. I was in ICU for another six weeks to recoup, and then I was in a regular room for two weeks. Sepsis has been the worst experience of my life. I will never be the same.

Comment from: noahsark, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 23

My son passed away due to this. He suffered from colitis and was admitted to hospital for treatment. He was given steroids to help his intestines. Instead it weakened them and a small tear appeared and it leaked into his blood. Everything started shutting down. His doctor did not notice this until it was too late.

Comment from: ebfarias, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 22

My husband had a prostate biopsy and within three days, he was in ICU. He was septic. After almost a month in ICU, he came home. He still has the infection and he had been on a lot of different antibiotics. When he finished his medications, within three days the sepsis is back. He is now on two weeks of IV antibiotics. No one seems to know what to do.

Comment from: Ben, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had at first pain in my right hip along with feeling crappy for two weeks then one night at work I became very ill, and was sent home, laid around all day, then all of a sudden began to shake uncontrollably. I immediately was taken to the ER, and after numerous tests and blood test they discovered sepsis. I was put in ICU for four days and remained in the hospital for two weeks on constant antibiotics. When I was released I had a pic line in my arm for antibiotics once a day plus pill form also. It's been five months since. So far, so good.

Comment from: Shelly, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My dear friend 40 years of age is septic as we speak. She had a hysterectomy due to several masses and she has stage 3 ovarian cancer. She underwent chemotherapy, and since, she has had one infection after another. She has been hospitalized four times to now find out she has sepsis, and a fistula due to surgery. She is currently home and has to take 12hr IV therapy of antibiotics/nutrients. She cannot eat for six weeks!

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Ertapenem - an antibiotic.

Comment from: harvey 39, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 03

My mother was 72 and had several health issues but I was so shocked when she just felt like she had a virus and it turned into septic shock and took her from us this June 14 2012. She started feeling a little nauseated and had diarrhea. She felt cool to me but she said she was warm. She didn’t eat or drink much as I tried to get her to. She refused to go the hospital for she said it was a virus going around. When I finally got her to go it was just within three days and she passed. Her blood pressure was low. She finally had to have a breathing tube. If I had known the signs of septic shock, maybe I could have gotten her some help and maybe she would be here today.

Published: July 03

I’m still fighting it. I was in the hospital for four days on Levaquin antibiotics through an IV. When I got out was on the same antibiotic in a pill form for a week. I got out on a Friday and tried to go to work on the following Monday. I didn't make it, though. I’m still running a fever and taking antibiotics.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My 46-year-old husband became septic while still at the hospital after having surgery to have his colostomy taken down and colon reattached. One morning he got the chills, started shaking uncontrollably and had a fever of 106.1. His blood pressure was extremely low also. Luckily the doctors surmised that he had a staph infection in his blood (caused by the main line in his jugular vein which they immediately removed) and started treating him on antibiotics and with a cooling blanket. Thankfully he recovered. The doctor’s quick thinking saved my husband's life.

Comment from: JIH, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a kidney transplant in 2003 and since then I have had seven sepsis events. All ended with hospitalization. They have not found a source for any of the events. I always have about five doctors and big money tests, but no explanation of the cause.

Comment from: Ken G., 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My wife had previous kidney stones a year apart, then skipped a year. On Mother’s day she had severe pain in her lower left back and I took her to the ER. She had a 9mm stone blocking her left kidney and an 8mm stone blocking her right kidney. The urine backed up and infected her bloodstream, and her blood pressure dropped. She was admitted to ICU and is on a whole plethora of medications Her limbs, face, lips, etc. have swollen immensely. She was asked to sign an authorization for a total blood transfusion if the antibiotics fail.

Comment from: sandy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My daughter, age 41, died from sepsis. She came home from work early on Thursday, and became confused about 6pm on Fri. EMTs took her to the ER at 6:30. She never was conscious. Then her brain activity ceased, and her kidneys and liver failed. She thought she had a virus that was going around.

Comment from: santoku, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

After undergoing a serious operation for a strangulation hernia, it turned into something worse. For reason's I won't go into, I had three feet of my small intestine removed, because of a bleeding issue. After spending three months in the hospital, I was admitted to a rehab facility. At this time, I still had an open wound on my stomach, which was healing by itself. After a month or so, one of the nurses found me unconscious in the bathroom. I found out later, when I woke up in ICU, that I had septic shock. I was later told by the doctor I almost didn't make it.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was 34 years old when I developed sepsis from a kidney stone blocking my ureter. When my oldest son took me to the ER, he thought I was dead. I had a temp of 107.00, extremely low bp, a pulse in the 160s and the amount of oxygen in my blood was only 88%. They gave me IV fluids, vasopressers, started antibiotics and put me on a ventilator because I was barely breathing.

Comment from: chilly in florida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

In January I had a double operation for a hysterectomy for uterine cancer and hernia repair for a double hernia. They had to do the hernia repair to get to the uterus. Two days after the surgery, while still in the hospital recovering, 3 black spots appeared on my stomach and began to spread. I was released a week later, with much more of my stomach turning black. The doctor's wanted to see if the infection would heal and were also setting me up to see a plastic surgeon to remove the gangrene. Two weeks after being released when I went for a follow up with my gynecologist, he immediately had me go to the ER. My stomach was more than 50 percent black and my incision had ruptured, and was full of pus. At the ER, I was found to be in tachycardia, and in sepsis. My white cell count was 21. They admitted me straight to intensive care. The surgery to remove the infection, which was scheduled for the next week, was done the next day. They remove about 35 pounds from my stomach, all the way to the abdominal wall. I spent 7 days in intensive care receiving antibiotics and fluids, and then another 10 days in the hospital still receiving antibiotics and trying to regulate the fluids. I had problems with swelling. The incision to remove the diseased tissue was 30+ inches across my stomach. I had 7 drains and was attached to a wound vac for 6 months. after the hospital I was sent to a rehabilitation hospital for 10 days to help me walk, and get up out of chairs and bed.

Comment from: mom and caregiver, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My 36-year old daughter was sick for seven days with chills, fevers (104), constant coughing. She was spitting up blood, and had a blotchy red rash on her thighs. Yesterday, she went to hospital, and after blood tests and chest x-ray, the diagnosis was bacterial pneumonia. The things that really puzzle me are the bloody stuff she is coughing up and the large and itchy rash on her thighs.

Comment from: Kristin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I got sepsis due to a hole being left in my bile duct. I was in a coma 16 days in the ICU and spent a total of 6 weeks in the hospital. I was literally sliced in half twice in one week because the infection had spread and I also had a tracheotomy. When I got back to work 3 people told me they knew someone that had died from sepsis! I thank God I am alive!

Comment from: faith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

My sepsis was treated in the ER. I didn't realize how much danger I was in.

Comment from: Angie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had no idea I was even sick, but I was septic and I was put on life support for nine days. I woke up in the ICU.

Comment from: DJ1973, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I had initial symptoms of bladder infection, but two days later had fever with sharp pain in lower right side. The ER doctor thought surely it was appendicitis, but ended up being severe UTI that went septic into bloodstream and kidneys. They started me on IV fluids and antibiotics then admitted me for "observation. If my daughter had not taken me to ER, the doctor said they would not have been able to save me even 6-8 hours later.

Comment from: Mandroid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My sepsis was treated with heavy duty antibiotics. I had an IV port for over three months. I spent about a month and a half in the hospital.

Comment from: nona, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 05

My husband went to ER with fever, shakes, very low blood pressure a very red swollen foot and a very painful lower back. The doctors told him it was arthritis and sent him home. I took him back two days later and they still wanted to send him home for arthritis. I made them take a better look at his foot and after cutting it open and finding out he had a bacterial infection they finally admitted him. He is septic, has all the symptoms and the doctors want to know why he is so lethargic. He's still in the hospital. It'll be five days tomorrow and he is still not out of the woods. I really would like to transfer him to a better hospital and will be looking into it soon. I am not impressed with these doctors. I'm just hoping it won't be too late for my husband.

Published: June 21

I went to the ER with what I thought was a Kidney Stone. I actually had a severe UTI. Of course they did a bunch of blood work and found I had Sepsis! My blood pressure dropped and my temp went up to 104.6. I was kept in ICU overnight and was given IV Fluids and IV antibiotics. I was released after 2 days and was sent home with a script for Cipro! I was never under the impression that I was deathly ill until I went for a follow up with my PCP a week later and she informed me that I came close to dying!!!

Comment from: MercyMercy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

My mother died two years ago from sepsis following a minor orthopedic procedure. She was 83 and had some health issues but she went into the hospital still ambulatory and active and left dying before Hurricane Ike was about to hit us here in Houston. I pleaded for them to take her to another hospital and they sent her home. She had the low blood pressure (after years of high blood pressure), low heart rate, rapid breathing, strange dreams and talking in her sleep. I know now she was septic. When a doctor finally agreed to sign her death certificate - after 2 weeks - it said the primary reason for death was sepsis.

Comment from: Dimples, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My daughter had an infected tooth pulled. Two days later she became extremely ill with high fever, low blood pressure and chills. I immediately took her to the emergency and she was put in ICU. She recovered and is back to normal after 16 days of being hospitalized. I am very scared that it may reoccur, or some other infection. I advise all others to take your family member to the emergency when you experience any of these symptoms mentioned earlier. It is a deadly infection if it is not treated properly or early. Do not wait a day or minute or try to use at home remedy. Sepsis needs lots of serious antibiotics and intense care.

Comment from: mona, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My husband was septic and was treated with Levaquin.

Comment from: Hilary, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My husband is at this moment very ill with it, he has had a water infection time after time over the past 15 years and the antibiotics have been masking but not clearing the infections .Thank god we had a descent emergency doctor tend to him over the weekend and got him admitted to the hospital. Hopefully he will have a full recovery.

Comment from: enkay, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 27

My 74 year old mum developed sepsis. She was admitted to hospital when I called an ambulance but died within 24 hours of multiple organ failure.

Comment from: ShaNayNay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had been diagnosed with pneumonia in my right lung. I have no fever, 98% oxygen level, normal blood pressure, cough, short of breath and a lot of sinus drainage. I went home. Two hours later I was developing a sharp pain on my right side in the kidney area. I checked in to the ER. I was admitted to a regular room. About 4 hrs later I was in ICU w/ blood pressure of 60/42. I had developed sepsis that fast! I spent 3 days in ICU, had to have my right lung drained (which is very painful) and spent a total of 10 days in the hospital. There was no indication to get to the ER until the pain in my side started, and even then I just thought I had pulled something coughing. Had my friend not been there I would have just gone to lie down. Pneumonia can be the silent killer, so watch for any additional symptoms and do not ignore them!

Comment from: Princess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I just got out of the hospital after 7 days of being treated for sepsis. I was on IVs for 7 days, and 2 antibiotics day and night. I had all the symptoms and my husband called 911 for the paramedics to take me to the emergency room. I really didn't realize just how serious my condition was. I wish I knew how to prevent getting it again.

Comment from: Linda B, Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

All I know is this infection Sepsis is a bad boy for sure. My mother-in-law age 83 got it from a tooth extraction back in November and has taken antibiotic after antibiotic. She has had all the symptoms that you all have mentioned.

Comment from: SepsisSurvivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I'd like to add another cause: broken placenta that was left in the uterus for two weeks and became infected. It was not until it was removed via D&E that some of the toxins entered the bloodstream and caused the septic shock I experienced. Treatment was aggressive IV treatment and a stay in the ICU. I fortunately recovered but it was close.

Published: May 19

I got this infection after surgery. I had all the symptoms listed here. This is no fun for sure! I had a high fever and uncontrollable shakes throughout my body. I had it for just under 48 hours. My doctor tried 3 antibiotics! The third one kicked it!

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors