©2018 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved. eMedicineHealth does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See Additional Information.

Kidney Stones


For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Karkas, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I want to say kidney stones is awful. I am getting pains from my belly down to my knees. My testicles are not ok right now. Very painful. I have been to the emergency room three times in a month. I have been waiting to pass it and the only thing I have seen so far has been blood in urine and burning urine. My legs are having spasms. I can tell you the second time in hospital went very bad because I felt like I was dying; by the way hospital staff was very nice.

Comment from: Sandyk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

With kidney stones I had pain building in severity in back, side and groin, was nauseous and faint. Eventually I had excruciating pain, similar to contractions.

Comment from: Vellybean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

For several weeks I had lower back pain. It wasn't disabling, just there. After three weeks, my right lower back hurt so bad I thought an ovary had twisted or something. I tried to wait it out. I took a hot bath. I got out of the tub and proceeded to start vomiting in the toilet. The pain in my back was severe. I woke my husband up and asked him to drive me to the emergency room. I then threw up more there and gave a urine sample. The pain was so bad, I could barely walk and talked very quietly. They did a CT scan and found out I had a 4 mm stone that was in my tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder. They gave me pain medications and anti-nausea medication. Once the pain was lessened, I was sent home with pain medication, anti-nausea medication, super strong Tylenol, and a medication that was to relax the walls of the tube. They told me to drink a lot of liquids with real lemon juice in them. It took three more days for it to move to my bladder and then came out with no issues. I am still waiting to find out what it is made of. I am 52 and it was my first stone ever. I hope I never get another one. It was worse than having a baby and I did all natural child birth with my two boys. Worst pain ever!

Comment from: Nunya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

My 36th birthday present was excruciating, life-changing pain, first in my bladder, then in my kidney. The first occurred on a Thursday morning. It woke me out of sleep at 4:30 am. My bladder was spasming a lot. By 6:30, I couldn't wait any longer for the urgent care center to open so I went to the emergency room (ER). I've had urinary tract infections (UTI) before, but never so painful. I essentially urinated blood into the sample cup, which freaked me out. The doctor said there was some infection but my symptoms were more like a kidney stone, so he offered me a CT scan. I declined thinking it was just a terrible UTI. I tried to work, but eventually went home when ibuprofen wasn't killing the pain anymore. Friday morning, my birthday, I woke up in the worst pain I will probably ever experience in my life. I wanted to die. I was screaming and writhing. I got a hold of my mom and she took me to the ER. Thankfully the pain passed after about 20 minutes. They did the CAT scan and found one stone about to enter my bladder and another in my kidney. Right as I was about to be discharged I had another attack. Thank goodness I was still there and on IV. They gave me Toradol earlier but the pain cut right through that so they gave me Dilaudid. It took some time to fully kick in but it was a life saver. I passed a stone, pain free, later that night. I guess I'm supposed to sit around and wait for the second to drop into my ureter a day, week, month, or years from now. Fun.

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm a 53-year-old woman. I went to the emergency doctor on Saturday because I thought I had a urinary tract infection (UTI); pain on urination, urgency. She said there was no bacteria in the urine, but that there was blood in it, and that I should follow up with my doctor. Sunday I felt fine, but Monday morning about 4:45 after I got up for work I was in agony. I had severe stomach pain in my lower abdomen on the side where I thought the UTI was. I called in sick to work and started trying to find someone to drive me to the emergency room. After maybe 45 minutes to an hour, though, the pain abated. I went to the doctor's when it opened, and they said I had likely passed a kidney stone, and that I should catch the stone in my urine if I could, and see a urologist. Tuesday morning I had the same agonizing pain; lying on my side, moaning, sweating. This lasted again for about an hour. Then it went away. Wednesday I woke up with no pain, and lo and behold, there was the kidney stone. It was only about the size of a grain of rice; I can't believe something so small could cause so much pain. Anyway, I wanted to share my story because my pain wasn't constant and unending. It came in early morning, and then disappeared, leaving me feeling fine for 23 hours of the day. I didn't find any descriptions online that mentioned the pain might be so sporadic and inconstant.

Comment from: Janet , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have 4 stones in one kidney. They are causing no pain, but I have blood in urine.

Comment from: Albert, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I have had a nagging ache in my left kidney for almost a month. The doctor prescribed antibiotics which helped a little even though a urine test showed no infection. Eight years ago I had kidney stones in both kidneys. As I hate hospitals and being messed about with, I experimented with putting a calcium tablet in cider vinegar and it disintegrated. Before going to bed that night I gulped down a quarter glass of cider vinegar and felt some activity around the kidney area. Before I lay down to sleep the pain had gone. I will be doing the same again once I am sure of what is causing the present ache. The urologist was about to treat me when the CAT scan came up clear. But I reckon the horrible taste was worth it.

Comment from: Kimmy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had my first kidney stone 19 months ago at age 54. The pain bolted me upright in the bed and I had pelvic floor pain similar to the bearing down of childbirth with intense bladder urgency. The pain was in my left back and started radiating down my side at which point I had uncontrollable shakes and chills and then sudden violent vomiting. I had no idea what was going on but thought I might die. I have had natural childbirth to one of my four children and this was worse. I had to be treated for an infection (wonder if this caused the stone to pass). Six months passed and I had another. Then almost a year later they began again. I finally went to the emergency room when two came just 19 days apart. They confirmed that I had one passing unobstructed through the left ureter and another in my right kidney. Since then I've had 3 more episodes in the past 10 days. I believe the stone they saw in the emergency room is lodged in the ureter. I am finally making an appointment with a urologist as I can't take the pain any longer.

Comment from: Tafox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been experiencing kidney pain for two weeks now. A trip to the emergency room and I was told I have a kidney stone, after a CT scan. The doctor said the stone should not be causing the level of pain that I'm experiencing as I have no other symptoms except nausea. It's also hard and painful to sleep on the affected side I am not sure why. I was not given any advice when I was discharged from hospital so am in the dark as to how long I need to put up with the pain. It's time for a second opinion.

Comment from: Leanne123, 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 02

I suffered with my first kidney stone when I was 8 months pregnant; yeah, fun! It took a while to pass but it eventually did on its own. Since then I've had a couple more stones. Two weeks ago I was hit with that familiar pain in the back that wrapped around the side. I had the sweats, vomiting and shakes. Plus I had a bad infection with lots of blood in my urine (going on 3 weeks now for that). I went to emergency and had x-ray, ultrasound and CT scan. It was determined that I have a kidney stone just over 3 mm. I wonder if it is possible to pass this sized stone without any pain. I still have blood on and off and will be referred to a kidney specialist soon.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I went to bed feeling just fine. I was still awake and turned from my side to my back. Just like that I had terrible pain in my lower left side. After about 5 minutes I got up so I wouldn't wake my husband. Nothing would relieve the severe pain, and I didn't have a clue what it might be. Finally I woke my husband and he took me to the emergency room (ER). They got pain medicines into me immediately, did a CAT scan, and yes, a kidney stone. Once everything was under control they sent me home with more pain medicines. I had pain all that day, it subsided in the evening, and I passed it early the next morning. The pain was worse than labor and I've had 4 kids. I never had anything like it before. I have at least 3 more stones.

Comment from: BusyMomO2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My first ever kidney stone was on 10/6/14. I went to the emergency room in severe pain in my left flank radiating to my groin area, pain over the tops of my thighs, and passing blood in my urine. A CAT scan showed a 5 mm stone in the distal left ureter (above the bladder). A month later, saw the urologist and had a follow up CAT scan which showed 'no stone in distal left ureter'. The urologist said I must have passed it and not noticed. However, from the onset of the stone attack, up until now, March 25, 2015 (almost 6 months later), I continued to have symptoms of urinary frequency, burning, urgency and stinging. Several urinalysis tests showed no bacterial growth. I was treated with prescription medications for pain and Uribel to calm inflammation. Today, March 25, 2015, I finally passed the stone! I was astonished that a stone could remain in my bladder for so long! I never had this type of experience in my entire life, nor had I ever heard of anyone passing a stone past 4 to 6 weeks maximum. Lucky me! Not. I had been taking super strength aloe vera capsules 2 weeks prior to passing the stone. I feel that I may have somehow dislodged the stone after so many months. I am lucky I did not develop serious infection considering how long the stone was in my body!

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been suffering from kidney stones for 2 years. I had a stone removed from my left side. I still have kidney stone and I have been taking potassium citrate and allopurinol for 2 years. I had an ultrasound done last week and it showed a blockage, then I had to get a CT scan. I am in so much pain in my back and side, and my left leg and thigh hurt so badly. I have an appointment to see my doctor on Friday but I am in so much pain I wonder should I go to the emergency room.

Comment from: Kcerio, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had four kidney stones and everyone was as excruciating as the last one was. On January 12 I went to the emergency room (ER) and was shaking like I was having a seizure, and vomiting. They gave me Toradol and Dilaudid and that helped with the pain. I had a CAT scan and sure enough there was a 3 mm stone on the left side. I was admitted to the hospital and I also had a kidney infection on the left side. They had fluids, antibiotics, pain medications, and Flomax going. On the 14th they took me to the operating room and they put a stent in. My urine looked like cranberry juice after that (blood). On the 18th they came in my room and were sending me home. I signed the discharge papers and had to wait for my ride for an hour and half so I lay down to rest and ten minutes after I signed those discharge papers I had another stone on my right side! What are the odds! I never left my room or got dressed they readmitted me and down I went for another CAT scan, and sure enough a stone on the right side! Anyway I was finally discharged on January 21st. I came home and went back for scan 2 weeks later and to the urologist and the stone on my left side has gone back into my kidney! I am scheduled to go in on March 2nd and they are taking my stent out and going into my kidney and taking out the stone. They say that's the only one I have! I can't keep doing this! I cannot take the pain.

Comment from: nadine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

The only symptom I experienced was a nagging pain in my right side. It was not as painful as childbirth. I also went to the bathroom a lot. I did experience hematuria that was visible in the urinalysis. I did everything I had always done. The kidney stones were discovered by CT scan. One of them had to be shocked to break it up. I haven't noticed any passing of the stone yet even though I have been drinking lots of water. I still have to see the urologist next week to find out what is going on. Will post more when I have been checked out.

Comment from: runswithsquaws, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a kidney stone about a year ago. It was the worst pain ever. I've had 2 back surgeries and would rather have another one than deal with stones. Anyway, I had another stone yesterday. It started out manageable, and throughout the day it got worse and worse. At about 8 pm I ran a bath (the water was the hottest I could stand) and it eased the pain tremendously. Afterwards I put a heating pad on my groin area and that helped also. But that is only a temporary fix. I eventually had to go to the emergency room (ER) where they found out it was a 5 mm by 6 mm stone. After 4 milligrams of morphine and 8 milligrams of Toradol I felt better. What I'm trying to say is 99 percent of the time you will end up in the ER. I waited until I literally would rather die than go through the pain till I went, and it could've been prevented if I'd gone earlier to prevent the excruciating pain. The urologist gave me a new medication to break it down and they passed easy. Also he advised that at least 2 glasses of lemonade a week will drop the probability of getting another one 60 percent. If you have kidney stones all I can say is it's going to hurt really badly, and don't wait to go to the ER, get help.

Comment from: Hnlac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been in constant pain for over 5 weeks. I have had two previous known/confirmed episodes of kidney stones. The pain ranges from dull ache in the flank from below my kidney into my mid-abdomen, with stabbing pain that takes my breath away. The last urologist I saw told me I have musculoskeletal pain, not kidney stones. I present differently from many stone sufferers (i.e., men), so my symptoms are discounted. I am scheduled for a second CT scan in 6 years, but will not be returning to my most recent urologist.

Comment from: Graiae, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am currI am currently experiencing my first kidney stone. The pain began two weeks ago as a "nagging" twinge, similar to a UTI. Within a day, the pain was sharp, moving from my right back around to my lower right groin. As others have said, it felt like a thin, sharp blade or a knitting needles being stabbed and twisted. The pain would last about 10-20 minutes, and then subside to a dull ache before returning. I went to the ER, had a CT scan, and received the official diagnosis of a 3.3 mm stone with a "this will probably pass in 3 days or less" hint (oh, I hoped they were right!). I was given fluids and Toradol, which helped immensely, with oral pain medication for home. I have been drinking 3 quarts of clear fluids a day. Unfortunately, 2 days ago, the pain returned again at the front (sharp, stabbing) with dull, constant aching back up to my kidney. I returned to the ER (more fluids and pain medications) and with ultrasound, found that the stone is lodged at the entrance to the bladder, causing some "backup" of urine to the kidney. I am seeing a urologist, but still hoping fervently that the fluids will help the stone pass on its own. Pain levels are very similar to labor (I had no pain meds) during transition--about an 8 or 9 on 10 pt. scale, but they are intermittent for the most part. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone!

Comment from: Painful Mom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had no warning signs, I just turned from cooking breakfast and told my Husband I had a painful spasm in my back on the left and then I fell to the floor in agonizing pain. We happened to call an ER doctor who was a friend and she told us if it doesn't stop soon to go to the ER. So my husband helped me to the car and off we went. There was blood taken and a CT scan and thankfully they finally gave me pain meds! So after all was done and I was released we went to the health food store and got something called "Stone breaker.” It broke my stones into smaller pieces and I was able to pass them the next morning easily. They said to keep taking it to help break the others down. It works wonders. I thought there was nothing that would help. So I hope this helps someone else out!

Comment from: missjo123, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I had pain that woke me up from my sleep in the middle of the night that went down into my side, from mid rib cage down my right side. It was the "loudest" most extreme pain that I had ever experienced. I had to leap out of bed, and actually pace the floor, it was so horrible. I got down on my knees and squatted on the floor. I did anything to relieve this pain. It went away in about 5 minutes, and for that, I was so thankful. For the next day, I was alright, but two days later, again about the same time in the middle of the night, I woke with the same sharp excruciating pain in my right side. This time, after 5 minutes, it didn't let up. I was nauseated, dry heaving. My husband and I were just newlyweds of 2 months, and had just been in our new house 2 nights, when I was admitted into the hospital with a kidney stone. About a month later, I started noticing pinkish urine, low back ache, and a deep pelvic ache. I got another one which I managed at home, and with this one, it was all left sided, which caused pain into my back, down my side, and into my pelvic and groin area. This one was found to be lower in my ureter than the first. It is odd how they can feel so different, depending on where they are. I suffered through 3 in 6 months. After those, now I know what to look for. Mine were caused by low citrate levels in my body.

Comment from: Summer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had kidney stones several times and have had them blasted twice, which I would never have done again -- I felt bruised inside for weeks! I've had them removed twice, which wasn't bad at all -- the worst was having the stint in afterward. I had to stay on pain pills until the stint was removed. When you have kidney stones, the only way I can try to explain how they feel is it's like a nagging sharp pain as if someone is sticking a thin knife in you and slowly turning it. You try to sit one way to relieve it then another way, and it doesn't work. I've always had to go in and have them removed, so if you have them, go in and have them removed rather than suffer for weeks and weeks trying to pass them yourself. You'll start to feel much better once they've been removed.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I was an avid cyclist. Several 100 Mile rides per month with lots of sweating etc. Common scenario for athletic people, whether cycling, running, etc. Typically summer months so heat and sweating is a major element. Anyhow, began developing uric acid stones. Typically 2-4mm. Like most people, excruciating pain, vomiting, ER trips with IV's, etc. All passed "naturally.” Finally, went to University of Chicago and enrolled in their kidney stone program to evaluate my urinary system conditions. After analysis, they prescribed Polycitra-K. Mix it in my water bottle. The problem has diminished substantially! Hope this helps someone out there. I was ready to quit all activities after my second stone, but this supplement has allowed me to keep working out. I believe Urocit is a pill form of one of these supplements.

Comment from: Lanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Don't mess around with kidney stones that you think are lodged. My mother died from that within 24 hours.

Comment from: rheller1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have a 6.5 mm kidney stone and was told by doctor I also have gallstones. Something came out of me in my urine just now and it is crystalline, looks like brown sugar, sort of solid but can be broken apart with a fingernail.

Comment from: wiechers, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I decided to share my experience empathizing sincerely and whole heartedly with the vast number of people that have shared their experience. This is my second time around with a kidney stone. Second time that it had to be laser removed. The pain is something that is mind, life changing and really instills fears for months following the episode. All of you that have gone and or going through such an experience. I feel you with all my heart.

Comment from: Consumed with pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I just experienced my first kidney stone. A CT scan showed I had two stones, a 4 mm stone ready to enter the bladder but they didn't mention much about the second one. I just passed the one and am trying to determine whether or not I should expect to pass the second one now or can this pain just creep up on me again a month or year from now.

Comment from: Orangefan5, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I just found out that I have numerous stones in each kidney with the largest measuring 1.9 cm. The pain is excruciating. Unfortunately my doctor won't prescribe me anything for the pain and has said that she will refer me to a urologist. So now I have to sit and wait for who knows how long.

Comment from: 8mm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my first kidney stone a couple of months ago. I had a stone that was too large to pass on its own (8 mm) and finally after 1 week of excruciating pain, the urologist finally removed it by laser surgery.

Comment from: Craig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

My first stone was 7mm. What a life-changing event! I've been in pain before, but this takes the cake! I'm 59 years old and this pain is the worst in my whole life. I thought I was going to die.

Comment from: Momof2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm currently three weeks out from my first kidney stone attack. I had two nights of being awakened by what felt like 'waves' of gas-like/colicky pains traveling from left flank towards groin area. I waited too long until I finally went to the hospital. A CT scan showed a 5mm stone in the left ureter.

Comment from: Riku, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

Well the first signs i noticed was the pain, but at that point it was just a dull pain, like the kind you get when you have a stomachache. This pain was on the left side instead of the stomach. The real sign I saw was when I went to use the restroom and my urine was dark yellow. Literally five minutes later the pain intensified and it felt like someone was squeezing my insides on the left side. Not knowing better, I tried to sleep through it, but I just rolled around in bed as the pain started to get worse. At that point I went to the ER and they did blood work and had me urinate in a jar for testing. They told me I had a 2.5mm stone passing and gave me pain meds as well as meds that'll make me go more frequently. After a couple days I seemed to have passed the stone. Sadly a couple weeks later, the pain came back.

Comment from: Zee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have a 14mm stone and still I'm waiting for the doctor to remove it. The pain is the worst pain ever. I still have to wait a whole month to have it removed. I have tummy and back aches and pain on my right side.

Comment from: Termurr9, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I had lower back pains that increased, and extreme back pains causing me to not able to stand erect, which sent me to the hospital. I was diagnosed with kidney stones that were passable requiring no surgery.

Comment from: Lucyp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I passed my first kidney stone when I was eight years old. One minute I was walking around the house and the next I was lying on the floor screaming. After that I had kidney stones on both kidneys for five years. At one point I had 12 stones in my right kidney. Today, I was in pain all day but it was manageable. However, at midnight as I was getting ready to go to sleep, I felt it. This is the worst pain I can possibly imagine. I never throw up but I shake like crazy. The only thing that seems to help is to fill the bath tub with the hottest water my shower can give me and lie in there until the pain diminishes. I would not wish this pain on anyone.

Comment from: penny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

My husband just had a kidney stone one day ago. It was an excruciating flank and radiated through the side of his abdomen and into his groin area. He finally passed the stone on Sunday night.

Comment from: valerie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had pain in my back, leg and side. The pain was all on my right side.

Comment from: opawigeddove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had kidney stones for years. I'm ready to go to the ER right now, the pain and vomiting are so bad. For some reason I belch a lot, too. I'm just tired of the pain and I want these kidney stones out.

Comment from: Angela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had four stones over the course of a year. The first one was mild but still very painful. In my most recent experience, I wasn't able to get comfortable and I just wanted something for the never-ending pain. I went to the ER, where a CT scan found the stone about the size of a marble, which I was unable to pass on my own. That was a while back. Now I drink a lot of water and not much alcohol. I've been great!

Comment from: Stephie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My kidney stones first started as a dull pain across my lower abdomen. Almost like a gas pain that wouldn't let up, it seems like it would ease up if I rubbed my stomach. Next I started feeling a dull pain under my rib cage. Shakes and nausea followed.

Comment from: pworthi157, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had 13 stones pass in the past 12 years and currently have 2 more that I know of in my right kidney, which is showing signs of another episode. It is a constant low ache and I cannot predict when it will begin to move, but it is soon. Others have had me vomiting, on my hands and knees, and a couple I simply called my husband to let him know I was driving myself to the doctor's office as the pain was tolerable.

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Kidney stones gave me the worst pain I have ever felt and I have born two children!

Comment from: jmar42, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Excellent to-the-point information for a first-time kidney stone patient. This was very helpful.

Comment from: Kidney Stoner, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

Kidney stones pain can be as painful as labour pain... or even higher and indefinite. I had kidney stones twice in 3 years. Fist time I had <5mm stones and second time was 12mm. Second time stones gave me a lot of problem. It started when I about to board flight to Singapore from India. I was admitted to airport clinic and doctor didn't allow me to board the flight and I was given 3 injections (may be pain killers) and sent to a main hospital by ambulance. Later pain reduced and I felt like I got second life! I had laser surgery next day to fragment the stones. After that, I can see stones passing through urine for next few days. Now I am taking as much precautions to avoid the next one. I suspect that, the stones formed due to high intake of calcium and not drinking water.

Comment from: logone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I had a kidney stone episode a year ago. It lasted from 8am to 1pm and I finally called an ambulance to take me to the emergency room. I suspected kidney stones but had never had one so couldn't be sure. I begged for pain medication, the EMT's refused! By the time we arrived at the hospital I was completely broken down, gasping and sobbing in excruciating PAIN. I was barely able to walk in the doors by myself. The emergency room staff put me in a bed immediately and the doctor came in to see me. My stones must have passed to the bladder because SUDDENLY I was ok.

Comment from: ouch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

When I developed kidney stones, I had a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower back the moved into my abdomen. The pain was significant enough to prohibit me from taking a deep breath, and the pain was so severe, it would cause my knees to buckle. The, all of a sudden, the pain would subside without warning and the pain would eventually return, but in waves.

Comment from: palafoxy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had extreme pain radiating from lower abdomen and back. Nothing beats labor pain but this came very, very close.

Comment from: mstvm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I have been experiencing pain related to kidney stones since 2001. In 2002, two stones were removed surgically. But since then, I am experiencing the pain almost every year. I wonder if there is a permanent remedy for this problem. The composition of stone was calcium oxalate (80%) and Calcium Phosphates (20%).

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I passed my first kidney stone when I was 16. Since then I've had several. The pain starts to build up on my side, between my rib cage and my hip. It radiates from my back and feels like a build up of gas-like pressure. I've recently passed a kidney stone and for the first time had blood in my urine. I can usually manage the pain without a trip to the ER, but the blood in my urine scared me to the doctor's office.

Comment from: Starfish, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had the laser twice, and can attest to feeling quite tender after, but nothing compared to the kidney stone pain. For me it was quite relieving, like a very intense massage you know is doing you good. As for the stones, if I do not drink my daily 2 litres of water, I have severe abdominal pain within 3 days. It's quite frustrating as nothing seems to effectively prevent or cure, and much advice seems contradictory! ("Eat loads of celery", "Eat none no celery all" and my favorite: "Kidney stones cause no pain whatsoever" This from a doctor!)

Comment from: Kaydoo, Published: October 21

Before I found out I had kidney stones, I had what felt like a pocket of gas that began to get stronger. I also was restless. I was vomiting a bit and I had cloudy urine.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have passed nearly 300 stones in the past 5years. Some had to be removed at the hospital. The doctor has told me that I am a kidney stone producer. I have tried everything to prevent them. I hate kidney stones. They are a real pain.

Comment from: T Cat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

Dead on exactly what happened in emergency room and what happened to me. Pills and all.

Comment from: Beeutifool1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 51 year-old woman in good health. Several weeks ago after I finished my work shift, as I was winding down I got this excruciating pain in my right lower back. After writhing around in agony for an hour I had a friend call 911. Sure enough, a CT scan confirmed the fact that I had a kidney stone. I was given an IV for fluids and some much needed pain medication. Thing is, this has now happened 3 other times within the last few weeks but to this day I have never even seen a stone. Anyway the reason I am writing this is to relay something that helps me so much when I feel one "coming on". I submerge my entire right side in a tub with water as hot as I can stand it. For some reason it really helps with the process of the stone moving from the kidney to the bladder.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Kidney stones were frightening to me. I initially passed a stone with a slight burning sensation. Within several hours, I began experiencing the worst pain ever! The pain spread from my abdomen to my back and eventually down to my testicles. It felt as though I had taken a very hard blow, but the pain didn't subside. I had to go to the emergency room where they couldn't do anything but administer IV pain medication for the absolutely crippling pain!

Comment from: bairie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had a backache with soreness to the touch. I thought I had hurt myself somehow while gardening. This was in the evening; during the night it only hurt when I changed positions. The pain was just below my waist on the right side. The next morning the pain was worse, and it hurt to move. It wasn't until about 10 p.m. that it started to spasm and was much worse. At that time, I recognized it as renal colic; I had passed a stone several years ago, and here it was again. The first time I had no idea what was happening, just that the pain was excruciating, and I had a friend take me to the emergency room. This time I know what to look for--the symptoms of real trouble (unable to urinate, blood in the urine, etc.). So I am staying home and taking pain pills, watching out for signs of more serious problems, and praying that it passes soon.

Comment from: white_chickk, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

well i have had kidney stones for like 3 years and they just keep comming back the docters dont understand why my boyd makes them so fast they tell me that having a baby should be no worry for me since the pain of the kidney stones is somewhat like the same pain but i happy now because its gonna be a year since ive gotten the pain.

Comment from: Sick of the PAIN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I too am a kidney stone producer, but this most current episode is the worst. The pain just won't go away. I am on week five now. I went to a doctor in October he said he can't feel them unless they are in the ureter so I thought it was something else. I found out I had a cyst on my ovary but when I went to my OBY in massive pain he said it couldn't cause that much pain. I went to the ER. and the CT scan showed one on both sides in the ureter. I tried the usually flushing process but to no avail. I saw a Urologist last week and he told me that no way could I still be in pain. WHATEVER! He has obviously never experienced Kidney stone. I am going to see my OB again but what I really want is for someone to say. Let's get them out.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have had kidney stones in the past and am currently fighting the symptoms again. I feel run down. My back is hurting and I ended up in urgent care again. They gave me Tylenol with codeine and sent me home. I am so tired of kidney stones.

Medically reviewed by Michael Wolff, MD; American Board of Urology


Wolfson, A.B. Harwood-Nuss' Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2005.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors