©2018 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved. eMedicineHealth does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See Additional Information.

Electric Shock (Causes, Treatment, After Effects)

Question:

What treatment did you receive for your electric shock? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: San, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I got electrocuted 2.5 years ago, when touched a wire with a wet rag. It shot down my body twice, and it should have come out of the left foot. I was wearing rubber boots and surgical steel earrings (both ears). The electricity shot across my face, I lost sight, every muscle turned to mush, and the pain – oh my goodness, bad! No medicines, been drinking Chaga tea, ginger root tea and cannabis so I can eat. What ever happened, I never get hungry, and lost over 70 pounds. I did find a woman who is helping me with power pain therapy.

Comment from: Susan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I got very high electric shock for about 15 seconds. The main question is how I got the electric shock. I have two multi-plugs, one is 10 amp and another is about 20 amp. I connected 20 amp multi-plug to 10 amp multi-plug and meanwhile, I connected laptop charger over 20 amp and slowly I moved the charger. Unfortunately I touched the tip of the laptop charger and I got a very high shock. If there was not my family, for sure I'll be no more around. I got a small injury between my fingers like skin burn.

Comment from: Todd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I accidentally shocked myself plugging in my microwave. I developed chest pain shortly thereafter and called my doctor, who advised me to go to the emergency room (ER). At the ER, I was given an EKG which was described as beautiful and perfect. They then put me in a room. I waited for an hour and was given discharge papers with no further examination. My chest still hurts.

Comment from: Lucky mama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

After I got an electric shock, I got my blood pressure checked, temperature checked and the nurse gave me Tylenol for pain. Meanwhile I'm having tingling of my hands, arm, neck, leg foot and abdominal pain and slight pressure to the throat.

Comment from: Sdlord1 , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

Six months ago I was using a plastic brush head to clean a vacuum filter, after aggressively brushing what I later found out, was a nylon fabric filter. A strong static shock lifted me about 30 cm off the ground and the shock went up both my arms before stopping in both my shoulders. I have had tingling sensations in my index fingers ever since.

Comment from: SanChris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I got an electric shock at work, my hand was wet and didn’t see the wires, but the electricity went down my body twice. After 6 months with physiotherapy my right side is still in pain. The electricity went into my muscles which is very painful, medicines that were given to me just took the pain away. I started grounding myself, and after a couple days the pain started to leave and I was able to sleep and go back to work. I have two herniated discs on my right side and my left one is very close to being a herniated disc, so you can imagine how painful this is. I feel the damage on my right side all the time. There is a mushroom that grows on a birch tree, a Chaga mushroom. I found just drinking that and grounding has helped me a lot.

Comment from: Fly girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was working on a flight, about to make a hot chocolate for a passenger. When I touched the hot water button, a severe electrical shock went through me, leaving me trembling, with chest pain, a racing heart rate, and difficulty talking for a few seconds. I was sent for medical care, ECG, blood work, urinalysis, skin check for burns. I was left with my right arm stinging and prickling and a small red burn area inside my forearm. It disappeared the next day. Doctor said I was very lucky. I was told 400 hertz of electricity, went into one arm, across my chest, and out my right arm. That was three years ago. I am still paranoid.

Comment from: murdoc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I was electrocuted in Oct 2011. I have constant pain in my back muscles and arms the level of pain ranges from 7 to 10 at times it like knots in the middle of my back and or my arms are always hurting I got hit with 277 volts and it burned my little finger. My question is will the pain ever go away as long as I take the pain meds I am trying to live a normal life but what once I did in hours sometimes takes a day to like mowing grass simple stuff I been to see 4 different neurologists.

Comment from: lee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I was electrocuted in 2012 on the job. I got hit by 460v in my right hand, which started swelling within seconds. It went in my hand and out through my left foot. I went to hospital to get checked out. So far, I've been seen by three different doctors and have surgery done on my right hand in hopes that I will feel good as new again but no luck. Now, I’m stuck with constant pain in my hand and it also feels numb from time to time. I am sometimes not able to hold anything without my hand shaking, which causes me to drop things.

SLIDESHOW

Slideshow: 12 Surprising Headache Triggers Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: Trevor Wright, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

21 years ago, I was shocked by 240 volts through my left ear lobe from an active wire dangling from a ceiling. The current path travelled through my brain and exited out my left eye. Only a short path but it has proved difficult to rehabilitate myself to the level I'm at now. I was treated by reinstating my eye, making sure I didn't have any irregular heart beat and testing my brain for damage. I gained a fractured skull from the contraction and also minor brain damage, which has affected me a bit.

Comment from: Soozi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

In December, 2002 I was electrocuted. I was attached to 240 volts for 2.5 to 3 minutes. I felt my heart and lungs stop within seconds of being connected. When I hit the ground my heart restarted, but I did not breathe again until I was disconnected by my son. The pain was excruciating. The electricity traveled through my left hand, down the left side of my body and out through my left foot causing damage as it went. I have left-sided weakness, a mild brain injury, severe depression, constant pain and I still relive the event. I went from an active life to one where I struggle to do many things because I fatigue very quickly. I was initially admitted into hospital where I was observed in the cardiac unit for 48 hours and then discharged. A few days later as the exit wound on my foot became larger a friend took me back to the burns unit of the hospital where I was treated as an outpatient for two weeks until the wound became quite large. I was admitted to hospital and the wound was excised and closed.

Comment from: billb, 75 or over Male Published: July 31

I was checking out at a self-serve lane in Walmart, and I touched the screen with my middle finger and I got shocked pretty hard, not static but SHOCKED! I got dizzy and a little dazed then told the attendant cashier. He turned it off and Ii went to another register.

Comment from: Mark Barnes, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I was working with 14000 volts when a coworker came in contact by touching a neutral with energized line. He and I received injuries. I have vision and hearing issues, muscle spasms, numbness in both arms and hands; seizures and shortness of breath. My memory is also affected. I worked eight months with these symptoms not knowing it was caused by the flash and electrical shock. It's been two years and symptoms still exists.

Comment from: unable to walk, 3-6 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

As a child I stuck a screwdriver into a socket. My hand turned black, but it was more like bruising than burn. I was unable to walk for couple of weeks and my body was extremely sore. Luckily, I eventually recovered.

Comment from: RenoMom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 21

My daughter placed tweezers in an electrical socket when she was years old. Her hand was black & very swollen. Being a first time mother, I did not seek medical attention.

Comment from: twodalesdad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I was electrocuted 34 years ago. I was clinically dead for 45 minutes and thanks to the great team of firemen/paramedics and the team in the ER, I was able to leave the hospital within three days. I worked for a power company which was lax with safety! I received 6500 volts through my left hand which exited through both feet. The jolt through me 100 feet across the parking lot of the restaurant where we were installing a fuse cabinet.

QUESTION

Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors